Friday, July 31, 2009

A belated thank you 'Cher!

Rowo, Petungkriyono - To all the teachers who have imparted me their wisdom and knowledge over the years, here's a belated thank you to all of you, for over the course of the past week, I have come to experience first hand, just how difficult it is to teach and motivate kids. I had originally intended to write this on the eve of Teacher's Day, but decided that I had better do it before I forget the essence of it. Thus, it is a month early.

It is not all complaints though, for the satisfaction in seeing their interest piqued and subsequently actively participating... it makes all the effort worth it. Language is something that is definitely not easy to teach, especially so when the language that is being taught is not their native language, not their second language, but actually in effect their forth (!) language (Javanese Kromo, Javanese Ngoko, Bahasa Indonesia, then finally English). Hopefully with the few short sessions I have spent with them, I have managed to build up a view that learning language is not a dreary activity of just writing alien words and memorising them, but it can take the form of fun games as well.

No comments: