Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Leadership in an ideal world

Ok, I hear you cynics screaming "There is no such thing as an ideal world!", I heard you. But today I'd like to share a little on what I read in one of the many reference texts I'm being forced to go through.

Leadership in an ideal world. For those of you that are leaders, pay attention, what I'm about to say is something we sometimes/often forget. Followers, don't dishearten, there is a bit here for you too.

In an ideal world, the relationship between leaders and followers are symbiotic, or in simpler terms, mutually beneficial. Sure as leaders you appear to enjoy the perks and you're able to delegate tasks out to your followers/subordinates to complete, but let us not forget that as leaders, our first and foremost role is NOT self-advancement, but the welfare of our subordinates. By ensuring their welfare, it will inspire a sense of loyalty towards you. Thus also, the subordinate should not be an ungrateful git by forgetting that his well-being is a result of his leader's efforts, and so should work hard for the greater good of the collective.

In short, make your workers happy, and they will make you happy. Everyone advances.

But... that's an ideal world. In reality, we have difficult bosses, lazy subordinates, etc... Welcome to life. Life's a bitch. Suck it up and move on!

No comments: