Friday, May 30, 2008

Can we really?

While helping a classmate translate a particularly cheem piece of reading material, I realised that its contents were so very applicable to something close at heart. Violence and conflict resolution. This piece was talking about some of Gandhi's ideas on how non-violent opposition is the way to go.

As a career soldier, would it be hypocritical of me to even say I half-agree with this? When I am pretty sure if push comes to shove, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger to defend the country and all the people and things I love here.

Non-violence according to Gandhi is a weapon of the strong, do not mistaken it for one second as a reaction of the weak. And yet at the same time when questioned if such a situation was even possible in today's context, he said no. A modern nation state (founded often upon violence), and maintain an army, can never really be non-violent in nature.

Expounding further, one cannot be violent in some aspects and yet non-violent in others. It's an entire state of mind. You're either violent, or you're not. Sounds real easy in theory. But in reality the lines seem to be really blurred... especially when you are on the receiving end.

So... it brings the question of how the heck do you have a non-violent army? -_-"

No comments: