Thursday, June 12, 2008

Have you shook hands with the Devil?



Stumbled on this particular book in the anthro library (affectionally called kandang or stable/coop by anthro students from time immemorial) the other day, not having the opportunity to borrow it yet, the brief flip through the preface by the author certainly made for a compelling read.

2 things struck me. I can't quote the exact words so I'll just try to paraphrase the idea.

1. I know not God exists. But having seen and shook hands with the Devil, I am sure He must exist somewhere.

2. Sian Cansfield, Dallaire's researcher and shadow author, took her own life even before being able to see the culmination of their efforts published.

Despite the world having swore to not ever allow something like this to ever happen again after WW2, clearly somewhere along the way we, as a collective, as a member of the human race, have forgotten or strayed off the path of humanity. And the events and possibly details turned up in Cansfield's research sickened her to the point of suicidal depression.

Have we learned from the lessons in history? Progress certainly does have an amnesiac effect on the people who matter most. The decision makers.

No comments: