It's the time of the year again where the holiday cheer pervades into every aspect of our lives, from having our ears forcibly intruded with christmas tunes, decorations everywhere, and of course, people frantically shopping. On a second thought, when are we NOT shopping?
Anyway it's usually about this time of the year that I sort of sit back and take stock of what had happened through the course of the year, not just in my own private life, but well... life as a whole, including some events that probably don't concern me at all. A brief recollection was sobering indeed, 2008 hasn't exactly been the best of years. Perhaps in a way, I can even say that it probably is the worst. On the flip side, once you've hit rock bottom, it shouldn't go any other way than up from then on right? Right... I already hear the cynics and skeptics going "tsk!"
Despite all the death, doom, and gloom, there nonetheless have been a few bright sparks that marked an otherwise lousy year. Family - Only in times of crisis will you realise the unconditional love and support family members can give. Friends - I'm glad they are there. All the time in the quiet unobtrusive way friends are, they are always around. We may not meet, but it does not mean the connection is broken.
Perhaps in a strange, warped, twisted way, 2008 would be sort of a year that I "really grew up". Things that I thought impossible... well... perhaps weren't that impossible in reality to happen after all. And it's not just one particular thing, but several. Like a good buddy of mine A said, "Nothing surprises me anymore". Perhaps he really is right. After having gone through a similar experience.
This has also been a year where I finally sort of gained a deeper understanding and insight into the course I am taking - Anthropology. An understanding into its basic concepts and how its applications may be translated into real-world everyday life. In how we (I mean, I) think, perceive, and subsequently act on the things we come across. It has sort of opened up my mind to alot of things which well... as I said above "impossible". Looking at them in a different light, and understanding them in a different way.
Having already "wasted" slightly over a quarter of a century worth of life on learning life's lessons, some the hard way, perhaps it is time to finally start living it the way it should. Thanks to the strange confluence of events and support from close friends, this year would also mark me setting into motion a plan that is slightly more concrete than just mere dreams, thoughts, and talk.
With 11 days to go, Farewell 2008. Good riddance! And Hello 2009 :) May you be better than the last.
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Taking Stock
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment