Saturday, August 23, 2008

There but not quite

Jl Imogiri

Ride distance: 61km
Ride time: 3h 8min

The weather was perfect for a day's ride, heavy overcast, but unfortunately rotten for photographic opportunities. Anyway, today I attempted to explore an alternative route down to Parangtritis, with the intention of passing through Imogiri - Panggang.

Woe to me, I had severely underestimated the steep climbs up Gunung Sewu, the long string of mountains that make up most of the Gunung Kidul regency. Not to mention getting lost while trying to get myself onto Jalan Imogiri to begin with. (Note to self: Turn right upon seeing Polsek Umbulharjo)

Needless to say, I didn't make it to the coast, after having wasted an immense amount of effort climbing up what turned out to be the wrong road leading up a spurline to the royal cemetery of Imogiri, I was totally sapped of energy. And it was only a mere 200+m climb in terms of height! I *shall* return again. If nothing else it makes for good training.

Anyway since this was the first ride on the new bike, I spent some time getting used to the different riding positions, shifting and braking. After 50km or so, every small error in posturing/position makes sure you know in the form of pain. (Note to self: Saddle moved forward 1cm. Height dropped to 5.5)

Next Ride: Trisik, Glagah and Congot beaches?

No comments: